Murshidabad is a place of historic importance situated on the southern bank of River Bhagirathi. It was the last capital of Independent Bengal from 1717 to 1773 when the East India Company shifted its capital to Kolkata. The present city is renowned for its silks and places of historical interest. It also serves as the district head quarters of Murshidabad district.
Berhampur, also fondly known as Baharampur, is a city in the district of Murshidabad, West Bengal. It currently serves as the administrative headquarters of the same district. The place is famous because Rishi Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, the great Bengali author, wrote Anandamath when he sat next to the riverbanks of Bhagirathi. One of the most important reasons why this district town occupies a place in Indian History, is because it served as the first capital of India under the British rule. It was in the year 1772 that the British had shifted to Kolkata.
Imambara, also known as the Nizamat Imambara, is the masterly creation of Nawab Nazim Mansoor Ali Khan Feradun Jah, the heir of Nawab Nazim Humayun Jah, his father in Murshidabad, West Bengal. The mosque was constructed in 1847 following the infernos of 1842 and 1846 as a result of which the Imambara made of wood constructed by Nawab Siraj ud-Daulah was destroyed.
Baranagore or Baranagar is famous for its well-known temple compound which was constructed by Rani Bhabani (1714-1793), who was the Zamindar of Natore in Murshidabad. She wanted to build Baranagar as largely as Kashi. Baranagore is actually a temple complex, consisting of around 12 temples, stretching for around half kilometres. Baranagar is often referred to as Bengal’s Kashi.
Cossimbazar, also known as Kasimbazar or Kasim Bazar, is a census town in the Murshidabad district of West Bengal. The settlement lies on the riverbanks of Bhagirathi. In the past, the place formed a part of the Berhampore municipality. The number of people living in Cossimbazar in 1901 was only 1,262.