Tarakeswar is a holy place for Hindu pilgrims. Tarakeswar is a small town in Hooghly district in West Bengal. Principal attraction of this town is the temple of Taraknath where in Lord Siva is worshiped. This temple is founded by Mukunda Ghosh in 1729. Not only devotees from West Bangal visit this place, it attracts people from all over India.
- Taraknath Temple: Tourists visit the temple throughout the year. Sivratri, Gajan and Sravani mela are most famous festivals of the temple.
- Doodh Pukur: Doodh pukur is a sacred pond at temple area. The state government have taken appropriate antipollution measures to make the water of the pond useable by the pilgrims for the people of taking bath and puja.
- Rajbari: Tourists may visit the rajbari beside the Doodh pukur. Jamindar of this place used to stay in this palace.
- Shravani Mela: shravani mela is a popular fair which held during the bengali month of shravn (mid-July to mid-August).This time is auspicious to Hindus. Devotees come through out India to join this festival.
- Buddha Temple
How To Reach
Tarakeswar is just 58 km. away from Kolkata and is within easy reach. It is possible to visit the temple and return to Kolkata within a few hour.
- There are 24 pair local train from Howrah throughout the day. 58 Km Distance from Howrah to Tarakeswar.
- Trains are available from Saorafuly junction.
- Take train from Kamarkundu station (Howrah-Burdwan chord line).
- Easily accessible from Arambag station. Then take buses for Tarakeswar via Joyrambati – Kamarpukhur.
- Also it is accessible from Bishnupur station also.
Bus stand is situated on the north side of the rail station. CSTC buses are available from Sahid Miner at Kolkata maidan. Tarakeswar is connected by different bus routs: Tarakeswar – Chinsura, Tarakeswar – arambag, Tarakeswar -Burdwan etc.
Passenger cars (treker) are also available to travel from different parts of the district.
There are numerous option for car rental as well.
Tarakeswar offers all kinds of accommodation, suitable for every budget. Many private hotels and guest houses are available.
Tarakeswar Municipality Guest house
Deluxe Room: Rs. 150-600, A/c Deluxe Room: Rs. 900, Dormitory Bed: Rs. 30 (one mandatory meal with extra charge)
Telephone: (03212) 276330
Tarakeswar Tourist Lodge (WBTDC), Guest house road, Ward-7
Telephone: (03212) 279332
A/c Deluxe Room: Rs. 600/900/1100/1600/2200, Dormitory Bed: Rs. 120
Kolkata Booking, Telephone: 22488271/9051057272
Kanoria Atithi Bhawan, Station road (near rail station)
Room: Rs. 150-225
Telephone: (03212) 276297
Tarakeswar Super Lodge, Near bus stand (opposite of rail station)
Deluxe room: Rs. 350-1000
Telephone: (03212) 276371
Other than these, there are numerous options at Budget Hotels, Hanuman Parisad Dharamshala, Panda’s house etc.
When To Visit
Tarakeswar is popular all through the year. However, it is better to avoid the month of July and August when the place experiences heavy crowd for ‘Shravani mela’.