yy

Jafarganj Muqbara near Hazarduari Palace, Murshidabad

Jafarganj Muqbara or cemetery was built on an area of 3.51 acres by Mir Jafar. It is located approximately half a mile north to the Hazarduari Palace premises inside the bigger campus of Namak Haram Deuri. The cemetery is enclosed within waved walls and is the final resting place of the Nawabs belonging to the Najafi dynasty from Nawab Nazim to Humayun Jah. Nawab Nazim Syud Ahmed Najafi’s tomb was later shifted to Karbala in Arab. It is also home to the graves of Syud Ahmed Najafi (Mir Jafar’s father), Shan Khanum Begum (Alivardi Khan’s sister), Munny and Babbu Begum (Mir Jafar’s widows), Muhammad Ali Khan (Mir Jafar’s brother), Ashraf Ali Khan and Ismail Ali Khan (Mir Jafar’s brother-in-laws).  This cemetery is now maintained and administered by the Archaeological Survey of India and the entry fee is 3 INR only.

Back to Murshidabad

yy

Berhampur: The symbol of glory of the Nawabs of Bengal

Berhampur, also fondly known as Baharampur, is a city in the district of Murshidabad, West Bengal. It currently serves as the administrative headquarters of the same district. The place is famous because Rishi Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, the great Bengali author, wrote Anandamath when he sat next to the riverbanks of Bhagirathi. One of the most important reasons why this district town occupies a place in Indian History, is because it served as the first capital of India under the British rule. It was in the year 1772 that the British had shifted to Kolkata.

Continue reading